Houghton Drug: 817 Main Street

Houghton Drug

817 Main Street

In 1906, Houghton Drug constructed this building and moved from the west side of the square.  The store offered drugs, patent medicines, books, etc.  On the second level of the store was the local militia’s armory.  After the civil war, Company G, of the First Iowa Regiment was established and drilled at this location on a weekly basis. Currently, Maximum Physical Therapy occupies the space.

Architectural Survey Research

Narrative Description

This is a 2-story, commercial building of masonry construction. The storefront features an inset entrance on the west side of the facade flanked by storefront windows. Although the transoms over these windows have been covered-up, some original materials may remain underneath them. The upper story features three bays with 1 /1 double-hung windows grouped closely together and surrounded by a brickworked frame. (This same motif is employed at 811 and 815 Main Street.) A brickworked cornice with three inset panels and a name plaque of cast concrete reading "Houghton 06" crowns the facade.

Statement of Significance

This building is National Register eligible as a contributing resource to the historic district under Criterion A. It calls attention the evolution of land use around the Public Square in Adel and local entrepreneurs' preference to locate businesses within the 800 block of Main Street. This building is a contributing resource to the historic district because of its significance under Criterion C. The building calls attention to the influence of the Commercial Style of architecture to its design. This influence is most evident in the brickworked frame on the upper floor, the employment of polychrome brick, the cast concrete name plaque, and the tailored look of the cornice.

Historic Uses*

  • 1906: Houghton's Drug Store

  • 19??: J.E. Deford Furniture

  • 19?2: Tom Crellin Furniture (see 815 Main Street)

  • 195??: Hoffman's Furniture Store (based on Adel map)

  • 9-1-1999: Aubrey Dunbar (see 815 Main Street)

  • Upper part was armory for Company A for the First Regiment organized May 1878

*Survey research completed in 2004 so only includes building uses prior to that time